The language is the means of thoughts and learning. Thanks to the language skills we receive pieces of information, we provide them and construct our own reality.
Which are the four basic language skills and what do they consist of?
- Listening. There’s a big difference between hearing and listening: hearing means to percibe sounds vibrations; listening involves understanding and giving meaning to what you hear.
- Speaking. Children develop this language skill by listening to their relatives. They start relating specific sounds with a concrete meaning in a natural way. A good start for the academic success is a big contact with the language: the more parents speak to their children the better they get prepared to assimilate knowledge in the school.
- Reading. The development of reading is the key for a good learning; it’s absolutely necessary to understand what you read in order to assimilate the contents.
- Writing. It’s the way to put on a paper the words you say. For a child it’s the longest process.
By growing, we start losing our capability to absorb languages and we focus on the codes of our mother tongue. We learn our mother tongue by listening, speaking and later by reading and writing. Nevertheless, when learning English or another language, we have to develop the four skills in the same time. The language Laboratory provides tools for the teacher to permit students to develop these capabilities.
Learning languages developing the four skills
- The listening comprehension is the key and can be considered the basis of the other skills. The better the listening comprehension of a student is, the better would be his capability to develop other skills. In the language laboratory the teacher can transmit audio and video in real time to the students and create various working groups to do highly motivating activities.
- On the other hand, reading will provide a “mental structure” and will enhance the vocabulary, which will be useful for speaking. In the language laboratory the teacher has the possibility to transmit a document to all the students for a determinate period of time, so that students can improve their agility and reading comprehension.
- Writing will give importance to the message and its presentation. It requires a more elaborated communication, so that student has time to work out the message. The teacher can activate various functions such as the group chat, where any students group can share ideas and realize activities on the same task.
- Finally, speaking is the main purpose of the student. Speaking will get benefits from all the resources we could provide to students: the more they will read and listen, the more will be their progresses. We can say that speaking is the result of the sum of all the materials and resources involved. Sometimes in a conventional classroom it’s complicated to permit students to have fluent and motivating conversations. A language laboratory permits teacher to create conversational groups or pairs and to record simultaneously all these activities to be listened and evaluated by students.
In Bilingüismo y Tecnología we give importance to the four skills to learn languages, and at this purpose we offer the use of all the resources and technological novelties available in a language laboratory.